Saturday, July 11, 2015

The Tree Hugger

                
The Hubbard Brook REU program is the dream job I never imagined was possible. Seriously, as the plant ecologist I get to work with trees on a daily basis and hike in old growth forest for a summer. Through the help of some of my professors, my love of plants, and studious dedication to my academics, I was fortunate enough to be chosen for this amazing program.
                
As a participant, I get to work in the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest, a one-hundred year old forest nestled in the White Mountain National Forest. I am a rising junior at Plymouth State University studying Environmental Science and Policy, and due to living in southern New Hampshire the White Mountains feel just like home. I have loved outdoors since I played in the mud as a little kid, and I am proud to say that I still do. I have worked in organic gardens from a young age, and I am thrilled to be a part of the garden at Pleasant View Farm.
                

Weekend brunch at Pleasant View. Photo by Tyler
Pleasant View Farm is a housing cooperative, providing fourteen researchers and scientists with a place to crash at the end of a long day in the field or lab. My fellow housemates are from all over the country, and despite and sometimes because of our numerous differences we are able to come together and represent the best traditions of Hubbard Brook; dedication to research, patience, open mindedness, and connecting to people from all walks of life and backgrounds. I will admit that I was apprehensive to start, having never lived in a housing coop before. But my housemates are the kindest, most understanding, and simply amazing people I would ever want to spend my summer here with. We have had our share of ups and downs (read: lightning storms), and this summer will be experience I remember for the rest of my life. Everyone here has something interesting to talk about ranging across a wide variety of topics. We recently hosted some researchers from Bartlett Experimental Forest as part of the 52nd annual Cooperators Meeting, a two day conference filled to the brim with science and fun.

Technical difficulties in the field,
courtesy of a tree and a bear.
Photo by Kate
               
Hobblebush, only 4 ft high, by Kate
My research is fun and challenging, often requiring me to hike long distances uphill. I’m certainly getting a workout, and thanks to my dear friend the hobblebush I’m getting an advanced course in bushwacking along the way! Hobblebush is a lovely plant which probably only exists to trip up those unfortunate enough to stray across its path, and can grow to six feet tall in some places. It also has a habit of knotting together and rerooting, making anyone who has to walk through it appreciate the grazing moose all the more. I spotted my first moose on July tenth, before it decided to run away, so they ARE here somewhere. Other wildlife encounters include being charged by a drunken grouse, a bear running away from us, and a merlin which probably enjoys waking me up at 6 am. Specifically, I measure heights of trees across the valley to better understand how trees grow in different conditions, especially in relation to elevation.

With the help of my amazing mentor, data collection has been going well. Next week we’ll be in “the blowdown”, a 16 hectare swath of forest blown down by a strong windstorm in 2013. More about the adventures in the blowdown is to come!



-Kate
Photo by Matt, of Vegcrew




No comments:

Post a Comment