Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Must love Bugs: Earth’s Hematologists


(Angela Coco)


underwater: Photic zone, Mirror Lake (Angela Coco)
“The mountains are calling, and I must go.” (John Muir)
caught this beautiful wild brookie on HB (Angela Coco)

I am happy to report my research is ahead of schedule! Having a chance to slow down and engage in more personal activities (such as photography, fishing, and hiking) feels rewarding. I need to continue responding to the enchantment of the White Mountains as much as possible before I migrate home because I don’t know when I’ll be here again. I’m ever grateful for everything that has revealed itself to me thus far and hope to also conquer Mt. Washington, go backpacking overnight, and see a moose.

underwater: Pickerel in Mirror Lake (Angela Coco)
Mt. Tecumseh Trail with Ben & Tyler (Angela Coco)

At science nights, I usually sit with the same person because we enjoyed having interesting little conversations in our corner of the blue Pleasant View futon. Whether it be about Hubbard Brook fauna, the Northern Lights, or food, it was always engaging. She was very kind and patient despite the number of times I accidentally bumped her while eating ice cream because I’m left-handed and she sat on my left. I only knew her name, Michele, and that she was somehow involved in Hubbard Brook. Michele Lynn Pruyn, PhD (bless her soul) passed away this past weekend. I found out she was the PI of the entire REU program. I feel honored to have known her during my first weeks at Hubbard Brook and will miss our little futon conversations that I looked forward to each science night. She was wonderful.

HB Cooperators Meeting (Angela Coco)
Squirrels eat mushrooms? (Angela Coco)

Working with aquatic macroinvertebrates requires scrupulous attention to detail, tolerance for being wet, long hours at a microscope alone, and a love for bugs. Although this work is not suited for everyone and is sometimes tedious, it’s extremely valuable to the world. If you think of water as Earth’s blood, then macroinvertebrates are its white blood cells. These tiny critters are excellent bio-indicators of ecosystem health and water quality. Aquatic ecologists and other scientists that work with water, therefore, are Earth’s Hematologists. Although our existence is often humble, we are nonetheless important and invaluable scientists. We love bugs!

macro sample from Zig Zag Brook (Angela Coco)

Mushroom! Mushroom! (Angela Coco)


"Food Wizard" creator Sarah Russell (Angela Coco)
Potluck's "Food Wizard" (Angela Coco)

black fly pupae from Kineo Brook (Angela Coco)
underwater: deep pool with trout, Kineo Brook (Angela Coco)


~Angela~

p.s. Click on photos to see them at a larger scale!

No comments:

Post a Comment