Tuesday, July 14, 2015

A Hole is to Dig


My name is Ben Geyman and I’m a junior at Bowdoin College studying Earth and Oceanographic Science.  I grew up in Seattle, Washington.

Snapshot of roughness in Watershed 3.  Smooth ridgetops are
shown in blue and the rough, jumbled bedrock transition
is shown in yellow downslope.
This summer I’m investigating the transition from bedrock outcrops to shallow soils near the upper watershed boundaries and am taking the Hydropedologic gospel from Dr. Scott Bailey.  My hope is that I can identify a distinct topographic roughness signature of shallow-to-bedrock zones using GIS metrics in order to better predict the spatial distribution of shallow-to-bedrock soils.  Basically, it’s hard to know where bedrock is unless you can see it in the field, so I’m hoping to find an easy way to detect it with hillshade and elevation maps.  These shallow-to-bedrock areas are important because they export high amounts of dissolved organic carbon and are key sites of nitrification.

In order to relate roughness and soil depth, I’m digging a lot of holes.  On a good day, I might stick a metal probe into the ground a hundred times to record the “depth to refusal” by rock, root or a hard pan of till.  Along the way, I’m hoping to characterize the variability in soil units in this region.  To do this, I dig small holes to identify different horizons in the soil profile and characterize the soils as one of five distinct hydropedologic units. 

Here’s a picture of a typical podzol, one of the most common soil units at Hubbard Brook.  You can see the organic “O” horizon on top, a gray “E” horizon leached of organic compounds and metal ions below, and brown and red mineral “B” horizons where organic and metal compounds are re-deposited below.   The photo isn’t very good, but profiles can be pretty beautiful. 

At the end of the day, it’s always nice to come back to Pleasant View.  I start nearly every day looking at the plants in our garden with coffee and I end pretty much every day watching plants with a beer. I do a lot more watching than weeding, so the plants don’t always look great.  This year we have corn, squash, peas, beans, lettuces, chard, carrots, tomatoes and peppers.  We also have a 7-foot tall monster rhubarb. 

On weekends, I’ve been enjoying hiking around Franconia and the Presidentials.  When it’s hot, I suspend my fear of fish and nothing is better than swimming in Mirror Lake.  One highlight was when Geoff took me climbing on a weekday after work. We went up to the Eaglet in Franconia, supposedly the tallest freestanding spire in the NE. 


Sometimes I lose perspective when I’m digging holes in heat, humidity and swarms of blackflies. I question whether I’m collecting enough data, whether these data will produce any results, and whether any of it matters.  Then I have a panic attack because I think I feel a tick crawling on my back.  But most of the time I am really happy here.  Dr. Bailey has a lifetime’s worth of knowledge and I learn something new every time I go into the forest with him.  Hubbard Brook has an amazing tradition of research and a big part of it is living with interesting people in Pleasant View Farm.   

Cool image of rocks along the Pemi stained by
reduced iron from groundwater. Great place to picnic
because it's right behind the Price Chopper parking lot.
- Mapping McConaughey 

No comments:

Post a Comment